What’s better than hot chocolate? Hot chocolate with stuff in it! Hot chocolate is probably my favourite drink. There’s nothing like a rich, creamy mug of hot chocolate to warm you up in the winter, or, um, keep you warm in the cool of the air conditioned summer! Some how, I ended up in a Twitter discussion about the wonders of putting-things-in-hot-chocolate this morning, and I got some tasty ideas. There’s no need to keep deliciousness a secret, so I decided I’d share my newly updated list of things-to-put-in-hot-chocolate!
- Marshmallows. This is a classic, although I haven’t done it in years. Something about how the marshmallows get warm and a bit soggy with chocolate-y goodness… Mmm! Extra points if they’re mini-marshmallows!
- Cookies. We’ve all had cookies & milk. But have you tried cookies & hot chocolate? It’s delicious. Dunk some crunchy chocolate chip cookies into your hot chocolate and you’ll be rewarded with warm, soft, double chocolate cookies in return.
- Coffee. Or is putting hot chocolate in my coffee? Hmm. Well anyway, it’s delicious. At my most frequented Tim Horton’s, I just ask them for a “half-and-half”, and they know what it means. Gives you that kick of caffeine with the sweet goodness of chocolate without the extra cost of a cafe mocha!
- Ice cream. I’ve yet to try this one, but how could it be bad? Just a scoop of your favourite flavour – I’m thinking some butterscotch swirl or even a good French Vanilla.
- Bailey’s Irish Cream. Probably the best known of the alcoholic additions, and for a good reason. Extra creamy goodness makes this a tasty dessert! Don’t be afraid to try the different flavours too – mint chocolate, anyone?
- Butterscotch Schnapps. This was a pleasant discovery due to having a leftover bottle of the stuff from expirmenting with Harry Potter butter beer recipes.
- Raspberry vodka. I’ve always been a bit iffy of the fruit+chocolate combo, but something about this is very appealing to me… (Maybe it’s the vodka?) Either way, I’ve got a new one to try, thanks to the Twitterati!
And there you have it – my collection of hot chocolate modifications. I’m sure there’s an endless list of others, and I am making it my personal mission to discover as many as I can!